Opportunity for a Marketing Director
Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe, PC is a full-service commercial law firm with offices in Denver and Grand Junction. For nearly 100 years, the Firm has taken on complex legal challenges helping to shape the business landscape and the communities wherein we live and work.
This job description is established by Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe, PC (the “Firm”) to outline the basic requirements, duties and general responsibilities of the position of the Marketing Director. This position is “at-will”, which means either the Firm or the employee may terminate the employment relationship without notice at any time, for any or no reason.
Position Title: Marketing Director
Reports to: Firm Administrator and Executive Committee
Direct Reports: Administrative Assistant or Marketing Coordinator
FLSA Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried
Summary of Position:
Develops and executes a variety of marketing and business development activities. Works with attorneys, individually and in groups, to ensure that all marketing and business development initiatives are met and coordinates with the overall firm strategy. Responsible for updating the firm’s website, collateral materials, and marketing-related databases and reports. Assists in preparation of the annual marketing expense budget and monitors marketing expenses. Works with and manages workflow with business partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance to the firm, particularly relating to marketing, promoting firm’s “brand” and culture, improving the firm’s presence in the marketplace, and planning and implementation of business development goals for the firm.
- Proactively engages with various trade, civic and community organizations to elevate the firm’s profile in the community
- Works to place attorneys in trade, civic and community organizations that fit within their practices and passions
- Helps coordinate volunteer activities of attorney supported causes
- Leverages and coordinates the activities of all firm memberships and sponsorships
- Assists attorneys in developing annual individual marketing and networking plans; coordinates individual plans firm-wide to insure cross-selling. Oversees and manages attorneys’ activities to determine if plan goals are being met.
- Created and co-facilitates business development meetings with all attorneys that serves as a resource to individual attorneys pitching for work and for cross-selling opportunities
- Coaches attorneys in marketing and business development to help them reach their goals
- Oversees general business of firm marketing, including preparing and implementing internal and external communication plans and sponsorships and reports all marketing efforts at the monthly Directors meeting. Assists in the preparation of the annual marketing expense budget and monitors marketing expenses. Acts as clearinghouse for communications among attorneys and staff regarding marketing and client relation issues including maintenance and distribution of a current schedule of attorney activities.
- Proactively works to make information on marketing activities known to all
- Provides forward thinking strategies on improving overall marketing/business development strategies including training, coaching, best practices and new technologies
- Manages the processes for responding to formal and informal requests for proposals and qualifications. RFPs and requests for information on specific experience, including performing background research on the client prospect.
- Responsible for updates and maintenance of firm website including practice area descriptions, attorney biographies and related news items.
- Works with Firm attorneys to create and disseminate practice specific content
- Responsible for the integrity and the effectiveness of the website
- Creates website pages as needed
- Develops and maintains media lists for the legal press, general press and relevant trade publications; prepares and disseminates regular press releases regarding firm news and events; places articles prepared by firm attorneys in target publications; routes press inquiries to appropriate individuals.
- Searches for opportunities for firm attorneys to be resources
- Monitor the editorial calendars of local and trade media and pitches article ideas to both attorneys and publications
- Merchandise articles and client alerts written by firm attorneys to maximize value
- Nominate attorneys for industry and publication awards and recognition
- Manages staff, as necessary and available, to achieve these duties and responsibilities.
- Assists with customizing business development presentations. Responsible for planning and coordinating activities for clients and potential clients (e.g. seminars).
- Work with individual attorneys to conceptualize and create firm marketing/networking events including the associate marketing and business development program, client specific mixers, and events with nonprofits
- Maintains computerized retrieval system for data relating to current clients, potential clients and referral sources. Prepares and coordinates firm mailings (including holiday cards).
- Work with attorneys to identify topics for client alerts and prepares and coordinates distribution of the same
- Created a process for obtaining competitive intelligence on potential clients
- Manages client relationship management software (IntelliPad and procedures)
- Responsible for updating various legal directories to ensure accuracy.
- Work with practice groups to make nomination submissions to Chambers USA
- Makes “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Best Law Firms” nominations
- Works with graphics designers and copy writers to prepare and place ads in various publications.
- Established branding guidelines
- Monitors brand quality
- Writes all print and electronic ads/announcements and works with a graphic designer to produce the same.
- Creates all collateral including pocket folders
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to creation of marketing plan and its execution.
- Ability to lead and inspire the development of professional marketing competencies within our law firm.
- Ability to read and write at an advanced level to create external documents and routine office correspondence, reports and forms. Perform calculations for budget preparation and expense monitoring. Maintenance of marketing-related records and files.
- Three to Seven years on-the-job experience necessary in order to perform duties in a professional setting. Prior experience in public relations, marketing or advertising fields required; legal marketing experience preferred.
- Ability to create and/or assist in the creation of professional marketing materials.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple assignments/tasks, use initiative and judgment to achieve results, work under pressure and complete assignments in accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to communicate in person or by e-mail, telephone. Ability to follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of attorneys and staff and be able to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain when performing a high volume of deadline-oriented tasks and duties.
- Work occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position; may require irregular hours.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Experience with Constant Contact and CRM systems preferred.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature and the like.
Ireland Stapleton offers an excellent benefits package which includes medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance, short and long-term disability; 401(k) retirement savings plan with a firm match; and a generous paid time off program. Additional benefits provided are health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and a health savings account; family and medical leave; employee assistance program; and a pre-tax transportation program. The salary range for this position is from $90,000 – $110,000 annually, depending upon experience.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of essential functions, responsibilities, qualifications and/or requirements of this position.
Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe, PC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.