Opportunity for an Accounting /Billing Clerk
Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe is a full-service commercial law firm with offices in Denver and Grand Junction. For nearly 100 years, the Firm has taken on complex legal challenges helping to shape the business landscape and the communities wherein we live and work. The Firm is seeking an Accounting /Billing Clerk in our Denver office to support our Colorado based firm. The successful candidate will undertake a range of tasks and responsibilities more fully described below.
This job description (“Job Description”) is established by Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe, PC (the “Firm”) to outline the basic requirements, duties, and general responsibilities of an Accounting/Billing Clerk. This position is “at-will”, which means the Firm may terminate the employment relationship at any time and for no reason, subject only to the requirements of federal and state law. Similarly, the employee may terminate the employment relationship without notice at any time for no reason.
The Accounting/Billing Clerk performs daily clerical duties relating to bookkeeping for firm. This could include, and is not limited to, processing accounts payable, accounts receivable/cash
application, payroll, billing and time entry, other duties and special projects as may be assigned by supervisors and/or Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the duties and responsibilities assigned from time to time by the Accounting Manager, Directors, and the Firm Administrator, the duties and responsibilities of the Accounting/Billing Clerk include, without limitation:
- Have a genuine interest in accounting, as appropriate to the position;
- Have a knowledge and understanding of accounting, as appropriate to the position;
- Practice professionalism in everything you do at the Firm and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with co-workers;
- Observe confidentiality of all Firm clients and the Firm;
- Understand and support the mission, philosophy, and goals of the Firm;
- Be self-motivated to increase your knowledge and skills;
- Follow the Firm’s rules and guidelines as set forth in the Employee Handbook, and any other rules and guidelines set forth by the Accounting Manager, Directors and the Firm Administrator, all of which may be amended from time to time in the sole discretion of the Directors;
- Present yourself in a professional manner, including dress and speech;
- Be cooperative, flexible, and supportive with all co-workers;
- Report any safety hazards in the office;
- Follow all of the Firm’s policies with respect to safety and supervision;
- Report all issues, accidents, special concerns, or problems to appropriate supervisors;
- Maintain a neat, clean and well-organized office or workspace;
- Attend staff meetings, staff trainings and Firm-sponsored events;
- Demonstrate interest in living in Colorado; and
- Demonstrate interest in working with the Firm.
Skills and Physical Requirements
- Lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds frequently;
- Occasional bending, stooping, walking, running, standing, sitting, kneeling, crawling,
- Squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above head, and reaching away from body;
- Seeing, hearing, and responding to the needs of clients, staff, Accounting Manager, Firm Administrator, and Directors;
- Proficient speaking, reading, and writing in the English language;
- The ability to work productively and collaboratively with others;
- The ability to work in a deadline-driven environment; and
- This position will involve periods of mental, physical, or emotional stress. Must have the maturity and sound judgment needed to handle these situations.
- Performs all accounting-related functions including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, and payroll.
- Processes semi-monthly and monthly payrolls, as well as periodic special payrolls as may be required.
- Assists Accounting Manager in preparation of the quarterly use tax reports as well as various reports needed to comply with federal, state, county and city regulations.
- Prepares the Form 1099 Miscellaneous Income Returns annually.
- Works with confidential data, which if disclosed improperly, might have significant detrimental effects.
- Assists employees in proper use of time and billing programs; troubleshoot as problems arise.
- Provide assistance to billing attorneys and support staff throughout the billing process, as required
- Create, prepare, and initiate workflow of prebills for assigned billing attorneys
- Revise prebills with accurate fees, costs and narrative edits
- Process and deliver final bills including e-billing submission, as required
- Set up rate exceptions, alternative fee arrangements, and other billing related fields on client matters
- Set up appropriate clients, matters, timekeepers, budgets, and rates within e-billing vendor sites, as required
- Work with billing attorneys and support staff on appeals of e-bills, as required
- Consult with billing attorneys, support staff, and occasionally management, regarding use of appropriate billing policies
- Respond to questions relating to billing, accounts receivable, and work-in-process, and produce reports as needed
- Maintain up-to-date billing system
- Prepare client billing as assigned
- File, maintain and distribute billing documents, records and reports as necessary
- Other duties/special projects as may be assigned by the Accounting Manager, Firm Administrator and/or Directors.
- Associate Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in accounting/bookkeeping and general knowledge of general accounting principles. Law Firm experience preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and demonstrated ability to apply this knowledge to perform detailed basic accounting tasks and procedures accurately.
- Strong organization skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be detail oriented and able to work under pressure, in a deadline-driven environment, with a consistently high production level.
- Initiative, a “can-do” attitude, flexibility, resiliency, awareness of surroundings and a willingness to assist where the need arises.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and written), with all levels of staff and clients.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office. Ability to learn and use accounting software, including time and billing.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with attorneys, staff and management.
- Satisfactory results from background check.
Ireland Stapleton offers an excellent benefits package which includes medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance, short and long-term disability; 401(k) retirement savings plan with a firm match; and a generous paid time off program. Additional benefits provided are health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and a health savings account; family and medical leave; employee assistance program; and a pre-tax transportation program. Time worked in excess of 40 hours per week will be paid at time and one-half of the hourly rate. The salary range for this position is from $20.00 – $23.32 per hour, depending upon experience. For immediate consideration, please visit complete the job application form below.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of essential functions, responsibilities, qualifications and/or requirements of this position.
Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe PC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.