Kira L. Suyeishi is an associate attorney at Ireland Stapleton with a diverse commercial litigation and regulatory practice. Ms. Suyeishi defends and prosecutes complex commercial disputes and advises clients on all aspects of regulatory law.
Ms. Suyeishi joined Ireland Stapleton after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Chief Judge Alan M. Loeb of the Colorado Court of Appeals. Ms. Suyeishi was awarded a full-tuition Chancellor’s Scholarship to the University of Denver Sturm College of Law and was inducted into the Order of St. Ives (top 10%) upon graduation.
During law school, Ms. Suyeishi served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Christine M. Arguello of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado and to the Honorable Nancy E. Rice of the Colorado Supreme Court and was a senior editor for the Denver University Law Review. Ms. Suyeishi also represented indigent clients as a student attorney with the University of Denver Law’s Civil Litigation Clinic and served as President of the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association. Ms. Suyeishi is a member of the Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, a professional association of attorneys devoted to supporting excellence, civility, professionalism, and ethics in the practice of law.
Ms. Suyeishi maintains a robust pro bono practice, including representing multiple clients in petitioning for clemency through the Clemency Project 2014, resulting in President Obama granting clemency to one client and reducing his sentence significantly. Ms. Suyeishi also volunteers with various legal nights and represents clients in asylum cases and eviction cases.Legal Experience
Presentations & Publications
- Successfully represented multiple businesses in Denver District Court appealing the decisions of municipal agencies that had denied the businesses licenses, including winning an appeal of a denial of a Retail (recreational) marijuana license – the first such win in Denver.
- Trial counsel in obtaining a complete plaintiff’s verdict for a commercial landlord and an award of attorney fees
- Obtained variances for multiple clients, both commercial and residential, before the Denver Board of Adjustment for Zoning Appeals.
- Successfully rezoned an area of Denver by guiding a client through the public legislative process.
- Won clemency for a pro bono client serving a sentence as a nonviolent drug offender. President Obama commuted the client’s sentence, reducing it significantly and moving up the client’s release date by over seven years.
- Co-Presenter, The Impact of Legalized Marijuana, Metropolitan State University of Denver, 2015
- Co-Presenter, Dentists & Dental Hygienists: The Disciplinary Process and How To Avoid It, 2015
- Consent Forms and Consent Formalism, 2013 Wis. L. Rev. 751 (with Nancy Leong), 2013
- Consent Forms and Consent Formalism, Presented to University of Denver Law Faculty, July 18, 2012
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Board of Directors
- Judicial Nominating Committee
Volunteer, Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network, 2017 – PresentVolunteer, Clemency Project 2014, 2015-2017Member, Thompson G. Marsh Inn of CourtMentor, Law School Yes We Can Board Member, Associates Advisory Board – Legal Aid Foundation of ColoradoBoard Member, University of Denver Sturm College of Law Alumni Council, 2013-2015Member, Sisters in LawMedia