Matthew A. Court focuses his practice on special districts law, litigation and employment law. Mr. Court works with special districts in a variety of areas including contract drafting, transactional matters, state and federal statutory compliance issues, property inclusions and exclusions, and employment matters. In Mr. Court’s litigation practice, he represents businesses and individuals in a wide range of commercial and private disputes. Mr. Court also works closely with large and small businesses on an array of employment issues including wage and hour issues, employment discrimination claims, drug and alcohol testing, termination issues, and compliance with federal statutes such as the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
While at the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, Mr. Court served as the Comments Editor of the Denver University Law Review and participated in the Student Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Court spent his second year as a student attorney in the Civil Rights Clinical program where he worked with a litigation team to conduct significant amounts of discovery, including client interviewing and counseling; drafting federal court motions; drafting requests for production and interrogatories; and conducting depositions.
Prior to joining Ireland Stapleton, Mr. Court served as a judicial extern for Douglas County Judge Nancy Hopf, assisting with Judge Hopf’s civil, criminal and domestic dockets. Prior to law school, Mr. Court taught mathematics and language arts at James Wood Middle School in Winchester, Virginia, where he also served as head of the school’s mathematics department. Mr. Court continues to strive toward making a positive impact in children’s lives through his affiliation with Adventure Amputee Camp.Presentations & Publications
- Comments Editor, Denver University Law Review
- Author, “Berry & Murphy, P.C. v. Carolina Casualty Insurance Co.: Malpractice Liability Insurance in the Tenth Circuit,” 88 Denv. U.L. Rev. 443 (2011)
- Co-Author, “Ambulance Membership Programs: Ensuring Compliance with the Social Security Act,” SDA News (May, 2014),
- Co-Lecturer, Employer Insurance Mandate Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Colorado Parks and Recreation Association (June 2013)
- Co-Lecturer, Top 10 Mistakes Supervisors Make That Lead to Discrimination & Harassment Complaints, Colorado League of Charter Schools (February 2014)
- Co-Lecturer, Understanding the Americans with Disabilities Act and How it Impacts Your Ranch’s Personnel Decisions, Colorado Dude and Guest Ranch Association (March 2013)
- Co-Lecturer, Employment Law 101, Colorado Dude and Guest Ranch Association (November 2012)
- Member, Colorado League of Charter Schools Attorney Network
- Member, Special Districts Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
Mr. Court enjoys running, hiking and cheering for the Los Angeles Dodgers