Julie Walker is a litigation attorney at Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe. She has extensive experience as a trial lawyer representing individuals and businesses in federal and state courts as well as in arbitrations and mediations across the country. She has tried multiple jury and bench trials to verdict in Colorado and other jurisdictions. She has handled complex litigation for all types of businesses in a variety of matters involving construction, professional liability, product liability, qui tam, financial services, complex torts, employment and commercial litigation. Ms. Walker also has experience assisting licensed professionals in responding to regulatory inquiries or disciplinary matters.
Ms. Walker is active in a number of professional legal organizations where she has held leadership positions, including the Defense Research Institute (DRI), William E. Doyle Inn of Court and the Colorado Bar Association. Over the past several years, Ms. Walker has been highly active in the DRI Women in the Law Committee where she serves on the Steering Committee. She is also involved in the Colorado Business Committee for the Arts, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to connect Colorado artists with the appropriate legal counsel when they need assistance. Julie is currently a member of the 2019-2020 CBCA Leadership for the Arts program whose mission is to train professionals for service on nonprofit arts-related governing boards. Legal Experience
Presentations & Publications
Professional Liability – Construction
- Defended architects, engineers, and surveyors against professional liability claims in a variety of complex matters in Colorado, Texas, California, and Wyoming. Also assisted design professionals with response to disciplinary proceedings
- Defended international construction management firm in complex construction defect litigation brought by public housing authority.
- Defended protective coatings consultant against wrongful death and personal injury claims. Secured summary judgment, affirmed on appeal to the Colorado Court of Appeals
- Tried to defense verdict contract dispute arising out of construction of retail mall. Affirmed on appeal.
- Represented concrete foundation contractor in all areas of construction-related disputes.
Professional Liability – Lawyers/Law Firms
- Defended all sizes of law firms and individuals against complex legal malpractice claims.
- Represented individual attorneys in defense of grievance proceedings.
- Obtained summary judgement on behalf of large law firm accused of conspiring in Ponzi scheme with client.
- Acted as monitoring counsel over complex large law firm legal malpractice matter involving millions in exposure.
Professional Liability – Financial/Professional Services
- Representation of various financial institutions, banks, insurance companies, and brokers in commercial litigation.
- Represented Managing General Agent for a large insurance/financial services entity in broker raiding litigation.
- Defended national lender against claims of conspiracy, mortgage fraud, and lender liability.
- Defended national lender against breach of contract claim for loan repurchase agreement.
- Defended broker/dealer against multiple cases alleging securities fraud. Tried to verdict.
- Defended wholesale insurance broker in complex litigation involving commercial property coverage.
- National trial counsel for global shoe manufacturer products liability claims.
- Defended pharmaceutical company against mass tort claims.
- Defended railcar manufacturer against claims arising out of prototype fire.
- Defended crane manufacturer against products liability claims in conjunction with construction accident.
- Represented physician partners in negotiation of departure from medical practice.
- Defended computer networking firm against discrimination charges.
- Defended global engineering firm against discrimination charges.
- Defended broker/dealer against executive breach of contract claim.
- Prosecuted non-compete agreement on behalf of a construction-related company against a former employee.
- Prosecuted non-complete agreement on behalf of computer networking firm against former sales employee.
- Represented real estate franchisor in vicarious liability litigation.
- Represented various corporate clients in partnership and shareholder disputes.
- Represented municipal airport authority in qui tam litigation and in related civil and criminal matters.
- Tried to verdict breach of commercial lease agreement.
- Six-week trial to verdict contract dispute between cardiac surgeon and hospital regarding surgery privileges.
- Tried to verdict commercial landlord’s eviction proceeding, including award of attorneys’ fees for landlord-client.
- Tried to defense verdict contract dispute between product manufacturer and supplier.
- Tried to defense verdict contract disputes arising out of commercial pool installation.
- Author and speaker “High Times in the Construction Industry”, CNA Annual Meeting of Invited Attorneys, 2019
- Contributing Author, “Grit, The Secret to Advancement – Stories of Successful Women Lawyers”, ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, August 2017
- Speaker, DRI Women in the Law Seminar – Rainmaking Workshop, February 2016
- Speaker, “Twelve Angry… Jurors: Diversity and Jury Selection”, IADC Annual Meeting, July 2015
- Author and speaker “Collaboration or Conflict: What Results when a claim Triggers Both General and Professional Liability Coverage”, CNA Annual Meeting of Invited Attorneys, May 2015
- Speaker, “The Risks of Statutory and Civil Liability on Multi-Employer Jobsites”, American Society of Safety Engineers, 2014 Professional Development Conference in Orlando, FL, June 11, 2014
- Faculty, ABA Forum on Construction Trial Academy, June 2012
- Contributing Author, “In Memoriam: The Honorable Judge Phillip S. Figa”, 86 Denv. U.L. Rev. 851, 2009
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law
- American Inn of Court
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Judge William E. Doyle American Inn of Court
- Colorado Bar Association, Ethics Committee Member
- 2019-2020 Colorado Business Committee for the Arts, Leadership for the Arts Cohort Member
- Colorado Business Committee for the Arts, Screening Committee