K.C. Groves is a commercial litigation attorney who handles a wide variety of complex business disputes and regulatory matters. He represents companies and individuals in jury and bench trials, appeals, arbitrations, mediations, regulatory proceedings, and litigation-avoidance strategies. Mr. Groves served as Ireland Stapleton’s Managing Director from 2004 to 2015. Legal Experience
- National Jewish Health v. WebMD Health Services Group, Inc., et al., United States District Court of Colorado. Successfully defended claims of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets resulting in confidential settlement.
- La Plata Electric Association, Inc., et al. v. Tri-State Generation and Transmission, Inc., Colorado Public Utilities Commission. Successfully represented complainant White River Electric Association, Inc. in challenging Tri-State’s wholesale electric rate design before the Colorado PUC.
- Hudson v. Becker, et al., District Court, Boulder County, Colorado. Successfully represented defendants in a shareholder derivative suit, resulting in a confidential settlement.
- “Kobi & K.C. at Ireland-Stapleton assisted me when dealing with another company using my letterhead/trademark/trade name to create fraudulent documents. Both were very helpful when preparing documents and discussing my options. I will absolutely recommend this firm to any/all who are in need of sound legal advice.” Client Review, Martindale-Hubbell, January 31, 2017
- “Excellent lawyer–professional, ethical, knowledgeable.” Peer Review, Martindale-Hubbell, August 09, 2016
- “K.C. is an extremely capable commercial litigator and excellent business advisor to his clients. He is capable of achieving favorable, business-focused results in complex matters. He is always professional and a pleasure to work with.” Peer Review, Martindale-Hubbell, August 9, 2016
- “A very able, sound attorney. Tells the truth to clients, opponents and the court. Very knowledgeable about the law.” Peer Review, Martindale-Hubbell, August 9, 2016
- I think highly of him. He’s a good lawyer and a good guy.” Market Commentator Chambers USA 2016
- “I think KC is analytical and his credentials are obvious, but it’s also his demeanor and thoughtfulness. He listens very well; he doesn’t get out ahead of the client but stays in pace with them. It’s not his project, it’s our project, but he has the backbone to say ‘are you sure you’ve thought through that strategy?’ We required that kind of competent analytical thinking, and on top of that he’s very compassionate and nice person who cares a lot about his client.” Client, Chambers USA 2016Presentations & Publications
- Speaker, CU Law School Professionalism Panel
- Speaker, “Straight Talk With Judges” CJI, February 2016
- Colorado Judicial Institute Board Chair (2013-2015), Board Member (2009-2017)
- SCG Legal Board Chair (2012-2013), Board Member (2008-2014)
- Colorado Lawyers Committee Chair’s Roundtable (2013 Present), Board Member (2002-2012)