Bill Hobbs is a highly experienced attorney with nearly 40 years’ experience working with elected officials, the legislature and election law. As an Of Counsel attorney with Ireland Stapleton, Bill draws from his experience in the Colorado Secretary of State’s office as both a Deputy Secretary of State and as a former State Elections Director to assist local governments on election law issues. Additionally, Mr. Hobbs serves as the Director of Special Projects for the Colorado Statewide Internet Portal Authority, where he helps to bring information technology services and solutions to Colorado state agencies and local governments.Legal Experience
- 2012 – 2016 Contract Hearings Officer, City and County of Denver
Conducted administrative hearings on behalf of city agencies and issued recommended decisions.
- 1999 – 2012 Deputy Secretary of State Office of the Secretary of State, Colorado Department of State
Mr. Hobbs was appointed by Secretary of State Donetta Davidson August 1, 1999, and reappointed by Secretaries of State Gigi Dennis (2006), Mike Coffman (2007), Bernie Buescher (2009), and Scott Gessler (2011). His responsibilities included: hearing officer for administrative proceedings before the Secretary of State, including election and campaign finance rulemaking hearings; chairperson of the State Initiative Title Setting Board; legal and policy analysis; legislative liaison; litigation supervision and coordination of legal services with the Attorney General’s Office; and administrative supervision of Office budget and personnel matters.
- 1997 – 1999 Senior Legislative Analyst, Joint Budget Committee Colorado General Assembly
Here, Mr. Hobbs performed financial and program analysis relating to proposed legislation and state agency budget requests. He also presented program briefings and funding recommendations to the Joint Budget Committee.
- 1995 – 1997 Senior Legal Editor, Shepard’s Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mr. Hobbs served as an attorney and publications team leader for legal reference materials.
- 1994 – 1995 State Elections Director, Office of the Secretary of State, Colorado Department of State
In this role, Mr. Hobbs was responsible for overseeing elections in Colorado, training and advising county clerk and recorders in the conduct of elections, administering campaign finance laws and recommending changes to election laws and rules.
- 1978 – 1994 Attorney, Office of Legislative Legal Services, Colorado General Assembly
1984 – 1994 Assistant Director
Mr. Hobbs drafted proposed legislation and provided legal analysis, opinions, and support for members and committees of the General Assembly. Co-chaired review and comment hearings for proposed citizen initiatives. Managed the Office’s hiring process and served as team leader of one of the Office’s four teams of attorneys.
- Supervised the Office’s legal review of state agency administrative rules (1980-1990)
- Lead legislative attorney assigned to advise the Joint Budget Committee (1980-1992)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Government Counsel Section, Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Minoru Yasui Inn of Court
- Colorado Lawyers Committee, Election Task Force
- We the People High School Civics Program