Michelle R. Thom
EMAIL email@example.comEmail Michelle
- Barb Gregory
- Legal Experience
- Presentations & Publications
- Community Involvement
Michelle R. Thom is a business attorney with Ireland Stapleton. As outside counsel, Michelle regularly advises businesses on a broad spectrum of legal matters, ensuring that their legal risks are minimized. Michelle assists clients by drafting and negotiating business contracts, by facilitating mergers and acquisitions, and in providing counsel on regulatory frameworks and employment matters. As a business attorney, Michelle keeps both her client’s business and legal interests top of mind with the goal of helping them solve problems, save money, and increase profitability.
Michelle has extensive experience advising electric utility and telecommunications companies on corporate governance, regulatory matters, and contract drafting and negotiations. Her work encompasses service contracts, independent contractor agreements, franchise agreements, construction agreements, and nondisclosure agreements—among others. Michelle also provides ongoing legal support and contract negotiation for small to mid-sized businesses, including a reference management solution provider and a construction company. Michelle regularly represents owners and investors in the purchase or sale of businesses (both asset and equity transactions), in drafting and negotiating contracts, conducting due diligence, and in guiding her clients through all stages of the transactions.
Before practicing law, Michelle worked in property management and real estate where she was extensively involved in all aspects of the property business, including investor relations, financial and legal accountability, marketing and sales, training, budgeting, and conflict management. Michelle’s background in business provides her with personal insight into the contrast between business needs and legal controls, which allows her to create real-world solutions for her clients.
- J.D., University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2016, Order of the Coif
- B.S., Marketing, Arizona State University, 2001, Summa Cum Laude
Honors & Awards
- Scholastic Excellence Award for Lawyering Process I & Community Economic Development Clinic
- Hartje Objective Writing Award Fall 2013
- Sturm College of Law General Scholarship (merit-based)
- James C. Owen, Jr. Endowed Scholarship 2015-2016
- Represented a small business owner in efficiently and economically separating from a business partner.
- Provides advice to various investors and businesses on potential securities regulations.
- Advises various local and national businesses on risk mitigation opportunities for their contractual relationships, including drafting new agreements and negotiating standard forms.
- Assisted in the representation of a veterinarian in the multimillion-dollar sale of the local practice to a national provider, including the negotiation of future employment terms.
- Assisted in the representation of an international client in the successful acquisition of a manufacturing company.
- Assisted in the representation of a client in the sale of its consulting and technology company assets.
- Assisted in the representation of a dentist in the sale of a local practice.
- Assisted in the representation of a general contractor before a state environmental agency in connection with compliance matters and response actions to environmental contamination. On behalf of a Denver-based leading developer, owner, and operator of retirement, assisted living, and memory care communities across the United States, Michelle assisted in business licensing, drafting lien waivers, and reviewing employment requirements for assisted living facilities, and drafted business contracts.
- “Oh, the Places You’ll Go: Career Paths with a JD” at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, September 2019
- “Bringing Rural Areas 21st Century’s Technology – Should/How do Co-ops Get Involved in Broadband or Other Things, and How Would they Organize and Pay For It,” a panel discussion, at CREA Attorney Seminar, October 2019
- “Pole Attachment Agreements Post SB-107” at CREA Attorney Seminar, October 2020
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association, Member
- Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court, Member
- The Arc Pikes Peak Region, Member
- Disability Law Colorado, Development Committee Member