Sean Jennings is an associate attorney at Ireland Stapleton Pryor & Pascoe, PC. He represents businesses in regulatory, government relations and corporate matters. His practice includes advising clients in regulated industries on licensing, permitting, zoning, compliance, and government enforcement actions and investigations. Mr. Jennings works with businesses and organizations in diverse sectors such as food and beverage, cannabis, hemp/CBD, transportation, gaming, energy, public utilities and short-term rentals. He represents clients at hearings before state and local government agencies, boards and commissions, and elected councils. He also assists businesses with corporate transactions, contracts and intellectual property matters.
Mr. Jennings has served on rulemaking committees and working groups for the State of Colorado and the City of Denver. Previously, he was the hearings manager for the City of Denver’s Department of Excise and Licenses, where he managed the City’s administrative hearings process for business licenses and conducted public hearings. During law school, he was the Executive Editor of the Villanova Law Review.
Presentations & Publications
- Represents food and beverage clients ranging from aspiring local chefs to national supplier brands to international hotels and developers on liquor licensing and permitting matters.
- Represents local and national cannabis and CBD businesses for licensing, operating procedures, government investigations and regulatory strategy.
- Advises clients in navigating laws for emerging industries such as short-term rentals, technology-based delivery platforms, public transportation solutions and broadband internet service access.
- Drafts state and local rules, ordinances and legislation for clients in regulated industries and assists with rulemaking proceedings and government affairs.
- Assists clients with business law, contract drafting and intellectual property matters, including securing federal trademark registrations with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Represents clients before the Colorado Department of Revenue, Department of Regulatory Agencies, Public Utilities Commission and other state and local agencies
- Represented the first cannabis research and development laboratory to obtain a license in the State of Colorado.
- Represented the first entertainment district to secure a common consumption area liquor license and activate public space in a large metro Denver city.
- Represented the first licensed racing facility to operate a daily fantasy sports platform in the State of Colorado.
- At the City of Denver, managed and conducted the nation’s first community public hearings for recreational cannabis store licenses.
- Co-author,“Bankruptcy and State Alternatives for Marijuana Businesses,” September 7, 2018
- Author, “Current Topics in Colorado’s Regulatory Landscape,” 92 Denver Univ. Law Review Online 183 (2015)
- Author, “Skiing Close to the Edge of Trademark Law: The Enforceability of Geographically Descriptive Marks in Vail Associates v. Vend-Tel-Co.,” 55 Villanova Law Review 205 (2010)
- Presenter, Marijuana and the Nonprofit Industry (2019)
- Presenter, Hospitality Law, Colorado Hotel & Lodging Association Conference (2016)
- Co-Presenter, Regulatory Update, Recreational Marijuana CLE (April 2015)
- Co-Presenter, Navigating the Agencies, Alcohol Beverage Law CLE (January 2015)
- Co-Presenter, Colorado Marijuana Licenses, Recreational Marijuana CLE (June 2014)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Downtown Denver Partnership, Retail Council Member
- Colorado Restaurant Association, Government Affairs Committee Member
- WorldDenver, Board Secretary and Young Professionals Board Member
- University of Denver Law School Professional Mentoring Program
- Brother Rice Colorado Alumni Committee Member
Skiing, mountain biking, hiking and reading.