Mark E. Lacis
EMAIL email@example.comEmail Mark
- Malia Heyd
- Legal Experience
- Firm News
Mark Lacis represents a broad array of clients across numerous industries in high-stakes commercial litigation.
Mark is a strong advocate for his clients across all areas of business litigation such as real estate, corporate shareholder and partnership battles, land use, lending and finance, intellectual property, employment, trusts and estates, bankruptcy, foreclosure, and complex contractual disputes.
During his legal career, Mark has handled hundreds of commercial matters and tried numerous cases to verdict and through appeal. Mark previously served as the head of Ireland Stapleton’s Intellectual Property practice group and as a member of Ireland Stapleton’s Executive Committee.
In addition to his legal practice, Mark is an elected member of Town of Superior’s Board of Trustees. As a Trustee, he represents and governs the Town of Superior by adopting ordinances and resolutions, budgeting and appropriating funds to conduct Town business, and sits in a quasi-judicial body when ruling on land use and real estate development applications.
Mark’s unique experience as a skilled trial attorney, coupled with his experience as an elected official, allows him to leverage connections and experience to solve difficult problems for his clients efficiently and economically. Mark regularly practices before the state and federal courts in Colorado and is also admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey.
Mark is a husband and proud father of twin boys. His family can often be found hiking, biking, and skiing in the great Colorado outdoors.
- New Jersey
- New York
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 2005, cum laude, member, Journal of Sports & Entertainment Law, member, Interscholastic Moot Court Board, member, Civil Litigation Clinic
- B.A., Rutgers College political science, 2001, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa., Henry Rutgers Scholar, member, Eagleton Institute of Politics
Honors & Awards
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® for Corporate Law, 2023-2024
- Selected to Colorado Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation, 2013-2019
- Successfully represented multiple land use clients in appeals to reverse local governmental decision to allow the operation of industrial facilities in a residential area (Weld and Larimer Counties, Colo.).
- Lead trial counsel and appellate counsel in insurance company dispute against agent and attorney. Premier v. Taylor, 2014cv33195 (Denver County, Colo.).
- Successfully represented contractor in mechanic’s lien dispute, Am. Builders Contractors Supply Co. Inc. v. Metro Construction Inc., 2015cv032879 (Arapahoe County, Colo.).
- Won appeal of attorneys’ fees award against opposing counsel for violation of frivolous, groundless, and vexatious statute, Premier v. Biondino, 2019CA204
- Obtained favorable settlement in complex fraud and shareholder derivative action, Drywave Technologies USA, Inc. v. Massage Int’l, 16cv1775 (D. Colo.)
- Won enforcement of non-solicitation and non-compete provisions and favorable settlement in dispute concerning former employee, MSR West Inc. v. Schulz, No. 2012cv5722 (Denver County, Colo.).
- Lead trial counsel in obtaining a complete plaintiff’s verdict in a jury trial involving breach of guaranty agreement related to the sale of a business, Basiliko v. Washington, No. 2008cv907 (Jefferson County, Colo.).
- Lead trial counsel in obtaining a complete plaintiff’s verdict of possession and damages after bench trial for landlord-tenant eviction proceeding, Youngdon Yun, et al. v. Cihan Karaketir, No. 2009c10529 (Denver County, Colo.).
- Trial counsel in obtaining a complete plaintiff’s verdict for real-estate developer and an award of punitive damages in jury trial involving allegations of bad faith breach of insurance contract by title insurance company, WPR Development v. Old Republic National Title Insurance Co., No. 2009cv5505 (Jefferson County, Colo.).
- Trial counsel in obtaining first-of-its-kind plaintiff’s ruling enforcing the sale of the intellectual property rights, including the right of publicity of a living individual to his former company, Warren Miller Entertainment, Inc. v. Warren Miller, AAA 771400048509SIM, Reasoned Award of Arbitrators available at Warren Miller Entertainment, Inc. v. Level 1 Productions, Inc., No 09-CV-2254-CMA-BNB [Doc. 35-1] (D. Colo.).
- Obtaining favorable settlement in case involving allegations of trade-dress infringement – WCM Industries, Inc. v. Jay R. Smith Manufacturing Co., et al., No. 12-CV-03019-WJM-CBS (D. Colo.).
- Successfully enforced the trademark rights of client and obtained favorable settlements preserving said rights, BMW of North America, LLC et al. v. Autowerks East, Inc., et al., No. 2009-CV-01009-JLK (D. Colo.); BMW of North America, LLC et al. v. Autoworks Colorado, Inc., No. 2008-CV-02345-REB-KLM (D. Colo.).
- Successfully resolved a complex mechanic’s lien dispute, Shaw Builders LLC v. AZCO II LLC, et al., No. 2009cv82 (Summit County, Colo.).
- Won favorable settlement over disputed commercial real estate commission, Darling v. El Cerro Properties, et al., No. 2012cv741 (Arapahoe County, Colo.).
- Successfully resolved claims against title insurer in case alleging negligent and fraudulent releases of deeds of trust, Citywide Banks v. Sarantinos, et al., No. 2009cv555 (Adams County, Colo.).
- Obtained favorable global settlement of complex construction defect litigation, Four Mile Canyon Creek LLC v. Shaw Construction LLC, No. 2006cv650 (Boulder County, Colo.).
- Achieved favorable settlement for food producer in breach of contract action, Wyandot Inc. v. Fullbar LLC, No. 2012cv933 (Arapahoe County, Colo.).
- Town of Superior, Board of Trustees, 2016 – Present
- Town of Superior, Planning Commission, 2014-2016
- Colorado Bar Association’s Ethics Committee, Past Member
- Judicial Performance Commission, 20th Judicial District, Past Member
- Quoted in The Colorado Sun, “In rare case, Colorado judge says permit must be reheard because of contributions to county commissioner’s campaign,” August 22, 2019