EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.orgEmail K.C.
- Halana Hiatt
Related Practice Areas
- Legal Experience
- Presentations & Publications
- Community Involvement
- Firm News
K.C. Groves is a commercial trial lawyer who works with local and national companies, business owners, executives, and entrepreneurs to resolve complex business disputes and regulatory matters. He represents his clients in jury and bench trials and appeals in state and federal courts, and in regulatory proceedings, arbitrations, mediations, and litigation-avoidance strategies. K.C.’s knowledge and extensive trial experience have earned him a reputation as a fierce advocate for his clients.
In his career, K.C. has held many leadership positions, including his service as Ireland Stapleton’s Managing Director from 2004 to 2016, Board Chair of SCG Legal from 2012 to 2013, and Board Chair of the Colorado Judicial Institute from 2013 to 2015.
- Colorado Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., University of Colorado, 1991
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1988
Honors & Awards
- Named “Barrister’s Best” for Commerical Litigation by Law Week Colorado, 2022
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law, and Real Estate Law, 2020-present
- Selected to the Chambers USA guide for General Commercial Litigation, 2012-present
- Selected to Colorado Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation, 2006-present
- Selected to Colorado Super Lawyers® list of top 100 lawyers
- Mountain View Electric Association, Inc. v. Board of County Commissioners of El Paso County, Colorado, El Paso County District Court and Colorado Court of Appeals. Successfully represented plaintiff Mountain View Electric Association in challenging El Paso County’s unlawful attempt to regulate Mountain View’s electric distribution lines, prevailing on summary judgment and on appeal.
- Mile High Cab, Inc., et al. v. Ali O. Crowther, et al., Denver District Court. Successfully tried five-day bench trial resulting in judgment restoring clients as owners of Denver cab company.
- National Jewish Health v. WebMD Health Services Group, Inc., et al., United States District Court of Colorado. Successfully defended claims of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets resulting in a confidential settlement.
- La Plata Electric Association, Inc., et al. v. Tri-State Generation and Transmission, Inc., Colorado Public Utilities Commission. Successfully represented complainant White River Electric Association, Inc. in challenging Tri-State’s wholesale electric rate design before the Colorado PUC.
- Hudson v. Becker, et al., District Court, Boulder County, Colorado. Successfully represented defendants in a shareholder derivative suit, resulting in a confidential settlement.
- CU Law School Professionalism Panel, March 2016
- “Straight Talk with Judges” at CJI, February 2016
- Colorado Judicial Institute, Board Chair 2013 to 2015; Board Member 2009 to 2017
- SCG Legal, Board Chair 2012 to 2013; Board Member 2008 to 2014
- Colorado Lawyers Committee, Board Member 2002 to 2012; Chairs Roundtable 2013 to present
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Project Sanctuary, May 2021 to present